What will we see in 2019 in the way of upholstery trends? I always prefer to invest in quality, timeless classic upholstery pieces, but that can be done in an updated way that incorporates these 2019 Trends.
1. What finishes will we be seeing in 2019?
Although the gray finishes have been very popular in 2018, we are seeing a return to brown finishes. They are more modern with gray undertones unlike the red and orange tones of the past.
2. Classic frames are still very popular, but we are also seeing curvy furniture.
The Lawson style ,like our Keegan sofa, has a track arm rather than a rolled arm. It can be used in just about any style genre.
Mid-Century Modern curves are also going to be very big going forward like our new Sur Sofa.
Splayed thin legs on just about any piece give it immediate sleek sophistication.
3. The use of metal is huge right now. Paired with fluffy hides (end of lifecycle… of course), leather, velvet or an interesting COM (Customer’s Own Material), creates a look that is updated, but not too trendy.
Even though we offer Gold, Silver and Black metal finishes, Gold finishes are still the most popular.
4. Details, like decorative stitching and Channel tufting are also back in a big way. Top stitching, flange welts, and wide trims are making their way into 2019 upholstery trends.
5. Cozy panel beds that envelope you with warmth are also going to be strong sellers for 2019.
This womb-like design feels nurturing and protective, which is something that feels needed in our current environmental state.
6. Fabric trends are very interesting. Performance fabrics like Crypton, Revolution, Eco Faux leathers, and Sunbrella are simply huge.
These performance fabrics look, feel and perform so much better than the first gen versions. You can’t tell the difference between a bed upholstered in eco- friendly faux leather or real leather. Why not choose the more environmentally friendly and economic option? Look at our Charles Chesterfield upholstered bed and tell me that’s faux? Well it is. It looks fantastic. We aren’t saying that leather is a negative because we are seeing an uptick in its use. We just really like the green option, which is also hypoallergenic.
Did you know there is Crypton Velvet? Can we get a Yaaaas?! This is one of our favorite fabrics trending right now. This Nantucket sofa is upholstered in Normandy Blue Crypton velvet. The Camellia Channel tufted sofa above, is in Ivory Crypton linen. A perfect way to have light upholstery without the worry.
Blue, gray and off white are still very popular color trends in 2019. We are also seeing pink blush, like this Anthony ottoman.
7. Authenticity of craftsmanship is a huge trend and my personal favorite movement. Telling the complete and real story of artisan fabricated furniture will be a popular story this year.
We are all craving truthfulness. I have witnessed a lot of faux fabrication details on many new upstarts’ websites. Some have had articles written about them in Fast Company and other industry news. I hope everyone writing stories, influencing brands, and promoting goods will do some vetting prior to publishing. We will offer our Luxury construction and a value proposition to our clients and will do so with illustration and complete transparency.
8. Last but not least, and one of our specialties, is the desire for clients to have custom-made goods. We love collaborating with our clients on custom items. We are seeing a return to unique, one-of-kind designs that are the antithesis of the Restoration Hardware look. Look at some of the hand crafted goods we’ve created recently.
The possibilities are limitless. What will you create this year?